If you have a young child on the autism spectrum or with social communication difficulties, you may be wondering what you can do to make communication easier for them. You may want to help them connect more easily with others, make friends and experience less frustration.
As a parent, there’s so much you can do to help your child during the everyday routines and interactions you already have together. At a More Than Words program, you learn specific, research-based strategies to support your child’s social communication and play skills, while also connecting and having more fun together.
Here are some of the valuable things you’ll learn when you attend the More Than Words Program:
- What motivates your child to communicate
- How to use your knowledge about your child to set appropriate and realistic goals
- How to make interactions with your child last longer
- Tips for using pictures and print to help your child’s understanding
- Strategies for how to talk so that your child understands you
- Strategies for developing your child’s play skills
- Ways to help your child make friends
– The Hanen Centre