The It Takes Two to Talk Program is designed specifically for parents of young children (birth to 5 years of age) who have been identified as having a language delay. In a small, personalised group setting, parents learn practical strategies to help their children learn language naturally throughout their day together.
The It Takes Two to Talk Program teaches you, step-by-step, how to become your child’s most important language teacher.
The program shows you how to:
- Recognise your child’s stage and style of communication so that, together with the speech-language pathologist, you can identify the next steps and goals
- Identify what motivates your child to communicate
- Use the strategy “Follow the Child’s Lead” to build their confidence and encourage them to communicate with you
- Adjust everyday routines to help your child take turns back and forth in interactions
- Follow your child’s lead to build his confidence and encourage him to communicate
- Talk to your child in ways that help them understand language and then use it when they’re ready
Use the strategies when you play and read books with your child to help them interact and learn the language
– Hanen Centre